How to Join - Graduate Student Ambassadors


Application: Closed. Please check back at a later time for more information.


Graduate Student Ambassador benefits:

  • Participate in cohort retreats.
  • Join a community of like-minded peers.
  • Receive mentoring.
  • Receive 1-on-1 social support and graduate school completion guidance.
  • Gain access to dedicated study space.
  • $7,000 scholarship per year for up to 2 years.


Minimum Eligibility Criteria to Apply to be an Allied Health Academy Graduate Student Ambassador:

  • Matriculated into a linkage partner graduate program in allied health(1)
  • U.S. Citizen, non-citizen national, or foreign national who possesses a visa permitting permanent residence in the United States.(2)
  • From an economic OR educationally disadvantaged background:
    • Low-income background.(3)
    • First generation college student(4OR from a racial or ethnic group underrepresented in graduate education.(5)

1. Linkage partner graduate programs are as follows:

  • California State University, Fullerton Master of Public Health, Master of Social Work, or Master of Arts in Communicative Disorders.
  • If space permits, the students from the following partners would also be considered:
    • Western University of Health Sciences Doctor of Physical Therapy,
    • California State University, Long Beach Master of Social Work,
    • California State University, Los Angeles Master of Social Work,
    • University of California, Irvine Master of Public Health.

2 Individuals with temporary or student visas (e.g., F-1, J-1) are not eligible to participate.
3. Proof of income must be provided through a Student Aid Report (SAR) form for the current academic year. ( How to View Student Aid Report) Individuals meet the criteria for low-income background if their 2018 annual family income does not exceed the  following guidelines.
4. First-generation college student is defined as a student whose parents did not graduate with a bachelor's degree or higher from the United States before the student started middle school.
5. The following ethnic and racial groups are considered underrepresented in graduate education: Black (non-Hispanic), Hispanic, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Southeast Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.


Graduate Student Ambassador Commitment:

  • Check in with the student case manager once per month.
  • Attend three cohort retreats per year (November, February, and May) which will cover:
    • Identity development and community building,
    • Graduate school retention,
    • Financial literacy and financial aid, and
    • Exposure to primary care and other health professions.
  • Receive mentoring as a 1st year and provide mentoring as a 2nd year.
  • Get support from a faculty mentor in Communicative Disorders, Public Health, or Social Work.
  • Complete an internship or field work placement with exposure to primary care.
  • Incorporate mental health or substance use into graduate thesis or project.
  • Take one of the following graduate level courses:
    • COMD 544 Neurogenic Speech, Language & Cognitive Disorders
    • MSW 570 Social Work Practice in Addiction Disorders
    • HESC course to be determined
  • Maintain good standing with the University.

Still have questions? Email Anel Tavares, Program Assistant at to discuss your situation.


2019 Poverty Guidelines (200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines)
Persons in family/household Family Income
1 $24,980
2 $33,820
3 $42,660
4 $51,500
5 $60,340
6 $69,180
7 <$78,020
8 $86,860
For each additional person, add $8,840

SOURCE: Federal Register, Vol. 84, No. 47, March 11, 2019, pp. 8729-8730